Around the corner from Saint Paul’s Cathedral, in King Edward Street, you will find this imposing figure. Sir Rowland Hill, normally credited as being the founder of the modern postal service and it’s penny black stamp. Designed in 1881 by artist Edward Onslo Ford, it was unveiled outside the National Postal Museum in 1923.
This is the only statue of Henry VIII in the City of London. It stands above the Henry the Eighth Archway at the Smithfield entrance to Saint Bartholomew’s Hospital (Barts).
This giant sculpture by Thomas Heatherwick can be seen in Bishops Court, an area leading off Paternoster Square. It is quite a large functional piece. It is actually a cooling vent for the electrical transformers, and replaces a plain concrete vent. It has been likened to an angel's wings.
New Temple Bar
Commissioned by the City Corporation, this monument, designed by Horace Jones replaced the original Temple bar that separated the City of London from the City of Westminster. It was unveiled in 1880. Although designed by Jones, the actual sculptors were Joseph Edgar Boehm, Charles Mabey, Charles Kelsey and Charles Birch. There are many features to the monument, too numerous to mention here.
Bellerophon Taming Pegasus, to give it’s full name, by Jaques Lipchitz (1891 - 1973). It can be seen somewhat hidden in a small courtyard off the Broadgate Complex near the ‘Rush Hour’ statue. Sculpted in 1964, the unusual bronze figure was unveiled in 1987.
This sculpture by Wilfred Dudeney was originally sited in New Street Square, near Fleet Street, but when the newspapers left and the developers arrived it found it's way to a demolition yard. It was discovered there and moved to the Goldsmiths Hall Garden in 2009. It represents aspects of newspaper-making: a news boy, a printer and an editor. It was commissioned by the Westminster Press group in 1954.
A bronze Shepherd and Sheep by Dame Elisabeth Frink can be found at the North end of Paternoster Square. The reason it is here, I believe, is that the square was a livestock market in ancient times. The statue was commissioned for the previous Paternoster Square complex in 1975 and was replaced on a new plinth following the redevelopment.
The Barge Master
This figure by Vivien Mallock represents the Barge Master at the ceremony known as “Swan Upping” held annually on the river Thames. The Queens swans are counted by members of the Vintners, and the Dyers livery companies. It stands near the church of St. James Garlickhythe and was commissioned by the Worshipful Company of Vintners.
Upon entering Paternoster Square the column looks very much like a small version of The Monument to the Great Fire. It is in fact, a fountain below a stone column topped by a gold leaf covered flaming copper urn, illuminated by fibre-optics at night. It is a memorial to the offices of many of Britain’s leading publishers on Paternoster Row, including their warehouses, which were totally destroyed or seriously damaged. resulting in the destruction of over five million books. Designed by the architects Whitfield Partners.
Blitz _ The National
This memorial entitled ‘Blitz’ was unveiled on May 4th. 1991 by The Queen Mother in Sermon Lane. Churchill referred to them as ‘Heroes with grimy faces’. Sculpted by John W. Mill. Originally it commemorated those who died fighting fires in the City during WWII. A section was added to the base and it was made the national monument. The typeface used is the same as that used on wartime ration books.
Break The Walls of
On the corner of Lawrence Poultney Hill and Cannon Street this work can be seen recessed into the corner of the building there. The plaque gives the following information about the work: “Break the walls of distrust. Commissioned by Speyhawk PLC October 1989. Unveiled by The Right Hon. Richard Luce MP Minister for the arts on 17th. May 1990. A work by Zurab Tsereteu people’s artist of the USSR”.
George and the Dragon
This bronze sculpture of Saint George can be seen in the courtyard of KPMG in Dorset Rise. It has a dragon coiled around it's metal plinth and the four brass tongues are fountain heads projecting into a small pool below. Sculpted by Michael Sandle in 1988 and commissioned by the Mountleigh Group.