In memory of Victoria Carter
Please donate to the hospice.
Copyright © www.barryoneoff.co.uk . All rights reserved..
Doctor Samuel Johnson had a house in Gough Square (you can still visit it today). He had a cat called Hodge, and this sculpture represents that cat. The bronze cat, by Jon Bickley, sits on a on the dictionary that his owner compiled, along with empty oyster shells, on a stone plinth near the house. The statue was unveiled in 1997. One inscription reads "a very fine cat indeed".
On the dome on the roof of the Old Bailey, the Central Criminal Court, stands a golden statue of Lady Justice by F. W. Pomeroy. She holds a sword in her right hand and the scales of justice in her left. The statue is supposed to show blind Justice but contrary to popular belief, the figure is not blindfolded. In the court's brochure we are informed that "Lady Justice was originally not blindfolded, and because her 'maidenly form' is supposed to guarantee her impartiality which renders the blindfold redundant".
It stands in the garden at the centre of Old Change Square facing Nicholas Cole Abbey.
These unusual sculptures by Anthony Caro assisted by Gavin Morris stand on the north side of the Millennium Bridge. The design of both pairs is related. They consist of a rectangular steel tunnel with a narrow and a wide end, surmounted by a narrower rectangular tunnel. The larger internal space at the bottom, opens into the narrower space above. They are made from shot-blasted stainless steel.
Commissioned by the City Corporation, this monument designed by Horace Jones replaced the original Temple bar that separated the City of London from the City of Westminster. It was unveiled in 1880. Although designed by Jones, the actual sculptors were Joseph Edgar Boehm, Charles Mabey, Charles Kelsey and Charles Birch. There are many features to the monument, too numerous to mention here.
A cordwainer was a worker in fine leather mainly making fine quality shoes. The ward of Cordwainer in the City was where most of them congregated. This sculpture by Alma boys was unveiled in 2002 to celebrate the 100th. anniversary of the Ward of Cordwainer Club. It stands in Watling Street near St. Mary Aldermary church.
This bronze plaque is located On Ludgate House, at North West corner of Ludgate Circus. Designed by Frances Doyle-Jones, it commemorates the life of Edgar Wallace. The inscription reads: Edgar Wallace. Reporter. Born London, 1875. Died Hollywood, 1932. Founder member of the Company of Newspaper Makers. "He knew wealth and poverty, yet had walked with kings and kept his bearing. Of his talents he gave lavishly to authorship. But to Fleet Street he gave his heart".
This sculpture by Karin Jonzen was donated to the City in 1972 by Lord Blackford, a former deputy speaker in the House of Commons. It resides on the North Piazza of the Guildhall and shows two naked figures, male and female reclining and looking forward, possibly to the future.
The poet John Milton was born in Bread Street, which runs from Cheapside to Gresham Street. He was christened at All Hallows Church. Both the church, and his birthplace are no longer there due to rebuilding of the area. The plaque commemorating his birth was taken from the wall of All Hallows and now resides on the side wall of Saint Mary le Bow Church
Many more photos in the Full gallery (5) >>.